Friday, November 28, 2014

120TH REUNION

10/11/2013

About 100 descendants of James Samuel and Olive Lucinda (Cornell) Herring assembled Sept. 29 at the Princeton Community Building to celebrate the 120th anniversary of the Herring family in Franklin County.

James and Olive Herring, along with Nancy Jane Herring, James’ widowed mother, and four children, left their El Reno, Okla., Territory home in 1893 and made the journey by covered wagon to the Princeton area.

About 100 descendants of James Samuel and Olive Lucinda (Cornell) Herring assembled Sept. 29 at the Princeton Community Building to celebrate the 120th anniversary of the Herring family in Franklin County.

James and Olive Herring, along with Nancy Jane Herring, James’ widowed mother, and four children, left their El Reno, Okla., Territory home in 1893 and made the journey by covered wagon to the Princeton area.

They settled approximately 4.5 miles southwest of Princeton on land that has remained in the Herring family, which is now owned by Reita (Herring) and Jerry Olberding and Brad and Jennifer Herring. The four children were James Ernest, Henry Earl, Elba Jane and Frank Leslie. Elba Jane Herring later became Mrs. Ernest Bechtle.

Two more children, Troy Elmer and Ray Smith, were born on the Herring farm.

After a potluck dinner at the community building, many went to see Acorn School, where all of the Herrings had attended school, and some descendants had a hay ride across the property to see where the Herrings had built ponds and dikes to improve the land.

The oldest living descendant to attend was Jean (Herring) Stinson, the daughter of the late Troy Herring and granddaughter of the James and Olive Herring, who purchased the property in 1893.

Also in Connections

comments powered by Disqus