Wednesday, October 22, 2014

No school Thursday at Eugene Field, but classes resume Friday

By DOUG CARDER, Herald Senior Writer | 5/1/2014

Classes are set to resume Friday at Eugene Field Elementary School, 702 Tremont Ave., Ottawa, after an overheating boiler filled the building with smoke early this morning and forced the school to cancel classes for the day.

An inspector with the Kansas State Fire Marshal’s Office cleared the school to resume operation Friday, Brian Kraus, assistant superintendent of Ottawa schools, said late this morning.

The school’s fire alarm system sounded about 5 a.m. today, Kraus said, prompting school officials to call off Thursday’s classes. 

“The boiler failed and overheated, and it started smoking and tripped the alarms,” Kraus said. 

Upon initial inspection, the boiler did not appear to be repairable and would have to be replaced, Kraus said.

“Fortunately, we should be getting out of the colder weather and school will be out soon,” Kraus said. “It might be a little cool in the building tomorrow but we will make do.”

comments powered by Disqus