Thursday, August 21, 2014

Boiler woes cancel school for a day

By The Herald Staff | 5/2/2014

There was smoke, but no fire.

Classes were to resume Friday at Eugene Field Elementary School, 702 Tremont Ave., Ottawa, after an overheating boiler filled the building with smoke early Thursday morning and prompted school officials to cancel classes for the day.

There was smoke, but no fire.

Classes were to resume Friday at Eugene Field Elementary School, 702 Tremont Ave., Ottawa, after an overheating boiler filled the building with smoke early Thursday morning and prompted school officials to cancel classes for the day.

Ottawa firefighters responded to the school 5:01 a.m. Thursday and discovered the smoke was coming from a malfunctioning boiler used to heat the school, according to a fire department report. After smoke was cleared from the building, an inspector with the Kansas State Fire Marshal’s Office gave the go-ahead for the school to resume operation Friday, Brian Kraus, assistant superintendent of Ottawa schools, said late Thursday morning.

“The boiler failed and overheated, and it started smoking and tripped the alarms,” Kraus said.

The boiler did not appear to be repairable and would have to be replaced, Kraus said.

“Fortunately, we should be getting out of the colder weather and school will be out soon,” Kraus said.

comments powered by Disqus