Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Cheap fix to smoky problem at OMS

By The Herald Staff | 6/28/2013

Ottawa firefighters found smoke, but no fire Wednesday morning at Ottawa Middle School, 1230 S. Ash St., Ottawa.

An overheated control switch for a heating, ventilation and air conditioning unit caused a small amount of smoke in the area, but no damage occurred, Jeff Carner, Ottawa fire chief, said in a report.

Ottawa firefighters found smoke, but no fire Wednesday morning at Ottawa Middle School, 1230 S. Ash St., Ottawa.

An overheated control switch for a heating, ventilation and air conditioning unit caused a small amount of smoke in the area, but no damage occurred, Jeff Carner, Ottawa fire chief, said in a report.

Ottawa firefighters were dispatched to the school about 8:25 a.m. Wednesday, the report said, to investigate an electrical smell and smoke.

The HVAC unit served the school’s wood shop area, Richard Smith, the school district’s director of facilities and operations, said.

“The variable switch fried, and there was an electrical smell and a puff of smoke, but that was about it,” Smith said.

The HVAC unit did not sustain damage, beyond having to replace the $53 switch, Smith said.

comments powered by Disqus