Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Man who discovered first of four bodies facing sex charges

By DOUG CARDER, Herald Senior Writer | 7/8/2013

One of the Ottawans who said they discovered the first of four bodies in a quadruple homicide in May in rural Ottawa found himself in court Monday on charges of his own.

Corey Schlotzhauer, 26, Ottawa, faces three felony charges of aggravated indecent liberties with a child between the ages of 14 and 16, indecent liberties with a child between the ages of 14 and 16 and aggravated burglary related to entering the child’s home with intent to commit a crime, according to court documents.

One of the Ottawans who said they discovered the first of four bodies in a quadruple homicide in May in rural Ottawa found himself in court Monday on charges of his own.

Corey Schlotzhauer, 26, Ottawa, faces three felony charges of aggravated indecent liberties with a child between the ages of 14 and 16, indecent liberties with a child between the ages of 14 and 16 and aggravated burglary related to entering the child’s home with intent to commit a crime, according to court documents.

The charges stem from an incident alleged to have occurred March 12, 2012, in which Franklin County prosecutors assert Schlotzhauer had sexual intercourse and lewdly fondled a girl between the ages of 14 and 16 in Ottawa.

At a status conference Monday morning before Judge Kevin Kimball in Franklin County District Court, 301 S. Main St., Ottawa, Schlotzhauer’s defense attorney, John Boyd, requested the conference be postponed until his expert defense witness had a chance to review DNA samples collected in the case that currently were in the Kansas Bureau of Investigation’s possession. Stephen Hunting, Franklin County attorney, had no objection to Boyd’s request.

Kimball set a new court date for 9:30 a.m. Sept. 9. Schlotzhauer is free on bond awaiting his next court appearance.

Boyd also made a motion to amend Schlotzhauer’s bond terms to remove the defendant’s electronic monitoring device, which he said had been in place the past six months since the charges were filed against his client in mid-January. Boyd said Schlotzhauer had not violated the terms of the monitoring agreement and that he also had not violated a protection from abuse order the alleged victim in the case had filed against him.

Hunting argued electronic monitoring should remain in place because Schlotzhauer was a registered sex offender with a previous history of similar crimes, he said. Schlotzhauer was released in 2011 from Lansing Correctional Facility after being convicted of having sex with a 13-year-old girl when he was 18, according to Herald archives.

Kimball planned to review the protection order before making a ruling on the monitoring device, he said, adding that he would notify both parties of his decision. In the meantime, he said, the electronic monitoring would remain in place.

Schlotzhauer was in the news this spring when he and two friends told authorities they discovered a woman’s body about noon May 6 under a tarp in a garage at 3197 Georgia Road, west of Ottawa. The victim later was identified as Kaylie Bailey. The other three victims were Andrew Stout, with whom Bailey was said to be in a relationship, Steven White, who lived at the residence with Stout, and Lana Bailey, Kaylie Bailey’s 18-month-old daughter.

Kyle Flack, 28, stands accused of the four murders. He remains in the Franklin County Adult Detention Center, 305 S. Main St., Ottawa, on $10 million bond, awaiting the outcome of his case.

comments powered by Disqus