Friday, October 31, 2014

No foul play suspected in Richmond fire

By CLINTON DICK, Herald Staff Writer | 8/9/2013

RICHMOND — A Wednesday afternoon fire at Central Street Bar and Grill caused between $150,000 to $200,000 in damages, fire officials said.

“It’s got a lot of structural damage,” Steve Weese, Richmond fire chief, said. “The kitchen area is mainly what burned and it did char some rafters, so the rafters will need to be replaced. It will need a lot of renovation, but it can be used again.”

RICHMOND — A Wednesday afternoon fire at Central Street Bar and Grill caused between $150,000 to $200,000 in damages, fire officials said.

“It’s got a lot of structural damage,” Steve Weese, Richmond fire chief, said. “The kitchen area is mainly what burned and it did char some rafters, so the rafters will need to be replaced. It will need a lot of renovation, but it can be used again.”

Emergency workers responded to Central Street Bar and Grill, 111 E. Central Ave., Richmond, after dispatch received a call about 4:38 p.m. Wednesday afternoon. Crews from Richmond, Garnett, Anderson County, Ohio Township and Centropolis fire departments, as well as Franklin County Emergency Medical Services and Franklin County Sheriff’s Office arrived at the scene soon after.

An investigation into the blaze is ongoing, Weese said, but neither arson nor criminal intent is suspected.

“We suspect [the cause of the fire] is electrical,” Weese said. “We had it pretty well contained in the first 30-40 minutes, and we stayed on scene all night to make sure it didn’t re-kindle.”

Neither the property owners, Joel and Jullian Wight, Garnett, nor the business owner, Tabitha Stevens, could be reached for comment.

The building’s current appraisal value is $17,500 and was originally constructed in 1920, according to the Franklin County Appraiser’s Office’s website. The structure at 111 E. Central Ave. sits directly east of the Richmond City Hall building, which Weese said “got a little smoke” during the fire.

No one on site was seriously injured during the fire Wednesday, Weese said, but a couple of firefighters became overheated in the incident and had to cool off.

comments powered by Disqus