Saturday, October 25, 2014

Mold forces temporary EMS move

By The Herald Staff | 8/15/2014

A Franklin County Emergency Medical Services building has been temporarily vacated because of mold contamination found in living quarters, a radio room ceiling, and two of the three HVAC systems in the building, according to the Franklin County Health Department.

During renovation activities of the Franklin County Ambulance Building No. 2, 219 E. 14th St., Ottawa, mold damage was discovered in a wall, the county said. To determine the level and degree of contamination, Flappan Consulting, Overland Park, was retained to perform a mold survey on the building. Results concluded that significant mold contamination existed in several areas.

A Franklin County Emergency Medical Services building has been temporarily vacated because of mold contamination found in living quarters, a radio room ceiling, and two of the three HVAC systems in the building, according to the Franklin County Health Department.

During renovation activities of the Franklin County Ambulance Building No. 2, 219 E. 14th St., Ottawa, mold damage was discovered in a wall, the county said. To determine the level and degree of contamination, Flappan Consulting, Overland Park, was retained to perform a mold survey on the building. Results concluded that significant mold contamination existed in several areas.

Flappan Consulting recommended the building be temporarily vacated because employees were experiencing symptoms caused by the mold. Symptoms were similar to a common cold, such as runny nose and coughing, Midge Ransom, Franklin County Health Department director, said. No patients served by the EMS crews came in contact with the mold, Ransom said.

EMS and Ottawa Fire Department employees who use the ambulance station temporarily are being relocated to Ottawa Fire Station No. 1, 720 W. 2nd St., Ottawa. Ransom said the remediation process has begun, but there is no time table for the length of the project.

comments powered by Disqus