Wednesday, November 26, 2014

House fire rekindles, devastating home

By The Herald Staff | 12/12/2013

A small house fire apparently caused by a portable heater rekindled Wednesday evening, leaving the home essentially a total loss.

The fire began about 2:53 p.m. Wednesday in the 400 block of South Maple Street, Ottawa. The structure’s occupants were home at the time of the fire, and all made it out safely and without injury, Jeff Carner, Ottawa fire chief, said.

The apparent cause of the fire was a portable heater being used to thaw frozen water lines in the crawl space of the home, Carner said.

The fire was extinguished, but later rekindled at about 5:50 p.m. Wednesday.

The home and its contents sustained damage estimated at about $90,000, according to the report from the Ottawa Fire Department.

For more on this story, See The Herald’s Weekender edition.

comments powered by Disqus