Daily Report for Aug. 5, 2013
• Friday: Jeffrey Huntington, Ottawa; Dennis Kimball, Princeton; Elia Martinez and baby boy, Ottawa.
Franklin County Jail
Sheriff’s Department Arrests
• 6:46 p.m. Saturday, K-68 and Georgia Road, Cynthia Fortin, 30, Ottawa, on suspicion of domestic battery.
Police Department Arrests
• 6:47 a.m. Friday, 300 block of South Mulberry Street, Derrick Davidson, 21, Ottawa, on suspicion of trespassing.
• 8:16 a.m. Friday, Franklin County Jail, 305 S. Main St., Derrick Davidson, 21, Ottawa, on suspicion of possession of narcotics, possession of paraphernalia and trafficking contraband into a correctional facility, according to a police report.
• 3:22 p.m. Friday, 2000 block of South Princeton Circle, Merl Hanson, 39, Lawrence, and Nathan Cunningham, 26, Ottawa, both on suspicion of transporting an open container.
• 5:04 p.m. Saturday, 500 block of North Birch Street, Jamie Haughton, 31, Ottawa, on suspicion of harboring a vicious animal.
• 6:46 p.m. Saturday, Franklin County Jail, 305 S. Main St., Cynthia Fortin, 30, Ottawa, on a City of Ottawa warrant.
Sheriff’s Department News
• 1:51 p.m. Saturday, 4300 block of John Brown Road, sheriff’s officers responded to a report of mistreated dogs at a Rantoul residence. Officers located numerous dogs with severe skin conditions and all were “drastically underweight,” according to a sheriff’s report. A veterinarian recommended the dogs be seized so they could receive medical attention. The homeowner, George Waddle, 56, Rantoul, could not be located, the sheriff’s report said. A criminal report was forwarded to the Franklin County Attorney’s office.
• 12:10 p.m. Friday, 3000 block of Utah Road, a 59-year-old Leawood man reported the theft of an oil-pumping unit from the 3000 block of Utah Road. Loss was estimated at $4,000.
• 5:14 p.m. Friday, Louisiana Terrace and Osborne Lane, a 2002 Dodge Dakota truck driven by a 16-year-old Ottawa boy was eastbound on Osborne Lane when he lost control of the vehicle in the mud, and it turned over into a ditch. A passenger was taken to Ransom Memorial Hospital, 1301 S. Main St., Ottawa, with a possible injury, according to a sheriff’s report.
• 7:04 a.m. Saturday, Sand Creek and Iowa roads, a 1991 Ford Crown Victoria driven by Brian Porter, Ottawa, was going east on Sand Creek Road when the vehicle went off the road and struck a culvert, according to a sheriff’s report. No injuries were reported.
• 5:38 p.m. Saturday, 2800 block of I-35, a Chevrolet Silverado driven by a 17-year-old Gardner girl was northbound on I-35 when it struck the back of a 2002 Ford Ranger driven by Nancy Brooks, 61, Hutchinson. Damage to both vehicles was about $1,000, according to a sheriff’s report.
• 7:57 a.m. Sunday, U.S. 59 and K-68, a 2007 Suzuki Reno driven by Ashley Woltje, 20, Topeka, was driving southbound on new U.S. 59 near the I-35 on-ramp when the vehicle hydroplaned and struck a guard rail.
Police Department News
• 8:29 a.m. Friday, Super Wash, 2132 S. Princeton St., a 74-year-old Ottawa man reported a subject dumped trash in the Super Wash dumpster.
• 7:39 p.m. Friday, 600 block of South Elm Street, a 27-year-old Spring Hill woman reported an unknown suspect damaged her vehicle.
• 3:41 p.m. Saturday, 600 block of South Burroughs Street, a 22-year-old Ottawa woman and a 25-year-old Ottawa man both reported the other battered them.
• 6:33 p.m. Friday, 1000 block of South Willow Street, a 45-year-old Ottawa man reported the theft of two bicycles.
• 3:05 p.m. Sunday, GreatLife Golf & Fitness, 1001 E. Logan St., a 43-year-old Ottawa man reported an unknown suspect stole a golf cart from GreatLife Golf & Fitness.
• 5:59 p.m. Sunday, 300 block of East Fourth Street, a 34-year-old Ottawa man reported an unknown suspect stole his bicycle.
• 8:28 a.m. Friday, 10th and Cedar streets, a vehicle driven by Lindsy Carpenter, 27, Ottawa, struck a vehicle driven by Kevin Jones, 47, Ottawa. Carpenter was cited for improper turn, according to a police report.
Ottawa Fire Department
• 3:07 p.m. Friday, 925 W. Seventh St., smoke detector activation. No fire reported.
• 1:58 a.m. Saturday, 1141 W. 17th St., investigated smoke odor.
• 3:18 a.m. Saturday, 430 E. Ninth St., smoke detector activation. No fire reported.
• 9:20 a.m. Saturday, 704 W. 19th St., authorized controlled burning.
• 12:56 p.m. Saturday, 1229 S. Main St., unauthorized burning.
• 12:54 a.m. Monday, 740 S. Oak St., investigated smoke odor.
• Firefighters assisted with 10 medical calls Friday through Sunday.